I’ve been sewing some of the items I cut in the marathon cutting spree several weeks ago.
I hemmed the brown fleece pants.
I sewed the Jalie PowerStretch leggings. They are also a dark brown. I’m still waffling about whether or not to put the fleecy side inside or the smooth jersey knit side inside. In this case I sewed the fleecy side as the outside, which looks great if they are being worn as leggings. But for warmth under jeans or the Carhartts, I think the fleecy side should be worn against the skin so the smooth side will glide better against the rough outer garment. This way will work for either application, but my guess is that Malden Mills intended the smooth side to be the outside. I’ll definitely do that when I make the Wind Block versions.
The Jalie pattern is longer than I expected. Usually I need to add length to pant patterns, so I added 3 extra inches at the bottom. When I tried them on they were really LONG, and then I noticed that evidently they are designed to extend over your heel, at least in the photo on the pattern cover. Can someone tell me why this is? In any case, mine extend the requisite amount over my foot. <grin>
The Burda 7890 crossover top is nearly finished, just lacking the hem at the bottom. I made it from a peach colored lightweight cotton jersey knit. My trusty Bernina 830 decided to stop making zigzag stitches during this garment, so I switched out to my Bernina 1090, which I’m still learning to use. It really is a nice machine and I’m falling in love with the multi-direction stretch stitches. The honeycomb looking one is the topstitching on the hems and edges of this top.
I sewed the light brown/tan Siltex cotton fleece pants last night and am currently testing the elastic length and positioning. These were cut from the Burda World of Fashion 2/06 yoga pant pattern which I tested last December in a black stretch velour. I gave to the velour pants to my daughter because I forgot to add seam allowances as I cut them out. They actually fit me well and were flattering, but they were just a bit TOO form-fitting for my preference. In any case, these current pants do have the correct seam allowances. I added a band of matching Siltex cotton/lycra ribbing to the top. I started with a 2 inch band, but I think I’ll reduce it to about 1.5 inches.
Timmel SWAP pieces to date:
- Dk Brown pants, Siltex cotton/polyester fleece
- Lt Brown/tan pants, Siltex cotton fleece
- Dk Brown fleece leggings/long johns, Jalie
- Peach crossover top, cotton jersey, Burda 7890
- Walnut brown camisole, Powerdry, self-drafted
ALL from stash fabrics! Hurrah!